A prison officer has been murdered after shots were fired at his car, which then crashed on the M1 in Northern Ireland.
The shooting happened on the Belfast bound carriageway between the M12 Portadown exit and the Lurgan interchange at 07:30 GMT on Thursday.
The man who died was very experienced and had worked through the Troubles.
Police are investigating a link between the attack and a burnt-out car found in Lurgan, County Armagh.
NI’s first and deputy first ministers condemned this “brutal attack”.
In a joint statement, Peter Robinson and Martin McGuinness said there could be no justification for this murder.
Read also: Eastern US gets back on its feet
“People who work for the Prison Service play a crucial role in our community and any attack on them is an attack on all of us,” they said.
“Actions like this have no place in society and those who carried out this murder have nothing positive to contribute.
“We refuse to let the people behind this attack divert us from building a better and peaceful future for everyone.”
Justice Minister David Ford said the murder was “shocking news for everyone in Northern Ireland”.
“My sympathy goes out to his family and colleagues. It is a family and a human tragedy,” he said.
“But this is a sign of those seeking to drag us back into the past when most of NI is preparing for a different future.”
Mr Ford said that dissident republicans – thought to be behind the attack – had very little support but could be ruthless.
He said the threat level in Northern Ireland remained severe and individual prison and police officers had been targeted.
“But it is a matter of getting the measure of the deadly threat and yet the limited support that it has.”
NI Secretary Theresa Villiers said it was “a cowardly and evil attack”.
“The thoughts and deepest sympathy of us all are with the family, friends and colleagues of the murdered prison officer,” she said.
“Like his colleagues across the prison service he was dedicated to serving the whole community in Northern Ireland. This is in stark contrast to the people responsible for this despicable crime.”
Labour’s Shadow Northern Ireland Secretary Vernon Coaker said the attack was “sickening and despicable”.
“Prison officers do a remarkable job in very difficult circumstances. An attack on any one them is an attack on the criminal justice system, the law and the community,” he said.
SDLP assembly member for Upper Bann, Dolores Kelly, said the incident was “sickening and disturbing”.
Read also: New mortgage rules set for 2014, says FSA
East Belfast MP Naomi Long also expressed sadness following the shooting.
“It has particular ramifications for people,” she said. “It is very distressing but also very upsetting in a political way. What the people in Northern Ireland want is for this to be over.”
This is the thirtieth prison worker to be murdered since 1974 in Northern Ireland.
The last prison officer killed was Jim Peacock who died on 1 September 1993.
Loyalist paramilitary gunmen from the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) sledgehammered their way into the Peacock family’s Joanmount Park home in north Belfast and shot him dead.
The motorway has been closed in both directions.